Print Correction Save

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
Umbrella org:
Area serviced:
0345 015 4033

Related Information

Related Factsheets

Subject Definitions

If you've been injured as a result of an accident that wasn't your fault, you can claim compensation. Compensation amounts vary from claim to claim, depending on many different factors, even for similar injuries. That’s because injuries affect people in different ways and each person’s circumstances are taken into account when awarding compensation. Common compensation claims include whiplash, road accident and medical negligence claims. Your insurance company may put you in touch with a solicitor are you contact one of the many "No Win, No Fee" personal Injury lawyers.
Consumer Direct is a one-stop service run by the Department of Trade and Industry. It provides information and links to sources of further advice on issues of concern to general consumers. The Consumers Complaints List gives voice to your complaint by forcing the complaint procedure into the public domain.
Healthcare is the treatment and prevention of illness. Health care is delivered by professionals in medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy and allied health services.
If you have a serious mental health problem, you may be protected against discrimination under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). People newly diagnosed with HIV or cancer will be protected from discrimination under proposed disability legislation.
Most of the treatment available under the National Health Service (NHS) is free, but there are some things for which some older people may have to pay part, all or part of the cost of, such as dental care and glasses. If you are on Income Support, Pension Credit or have Certificate HC2 or HC3, which means you can apply for a low income entitlement, most of these services will be free or subsidised. If you are on Pension Credit you will automatically qualify for help with the cost of travelling to and from hospital for NHS treatment. You may also get help towards these costs if you have a certificate HC2 or HC3 on grounds of low income. For further information contact the Benefits Agency or Age Concern Croydon.