Print Correction Save

Age UK Hillingdon Making the Right Move Service

This service offers Housing Options - Information, advice and practical support to older people, who are thinking about moving or who wish to remain independent in their own home. We can guide you through your options so that you can feel confident that you have made the right move, at the right time, in order to maintain your independence.

105 High Street, Ruislip, HA4 8JN
Umbrella org:
Services offered by Age UK Hillingdon
Area serviced:
London Borough of Hillingdon
Contact name:
Susan Walden
01895 676111
Opening times:
Mon to Fri,12:00hrs to 16:00hrs by appointment only

Related Information

Related Factsheets

Subject Definitions

Living quarters provided for public convenience.
Age UK has a vision of a world in which older people flourish. We aim to improve later life for everyone through our information and advice, campaigns, products, training and research.
Sheltered Housing is often called retirement housing or warden-assisted housing. There are many different types of sheltered or retirement housing to rent or buy. Schemes usually consist of between 15 and 40 dwellings which may be bed sitting rooms or studios, one or two bed roomed flats, bungalows or luxury apartments.
Sheltered Housing is often called retirement housing schemes, both to rent and to buy. Prices and types of houses vary enormously. A small second-hand flat can be found for £100,000 in some parts of the country. Brand new properties cost more. Once all the properties in a new sheltered or retirement housing scheme have been sold the ongoing management of the scheme is usually transferred to a management company, which may be either commercial or non-profit making. The scheme manager and other services are paid through a service charge, ranging from a few pounds a week in a scheme with no manager to £100 or more a week if meals and extra amenities are provided. However in the majority of ordinary sheltered or retirement schemes the charge is in the range of £20-40 a week. In addition you will have to pay ground rent which could vary from £50 a year to £300 or more, council tax, water charges, contents insurance, telephone & fuel bills.